Cayman New Resident
BDO Banner
OneTRADEX (Business)
The definitive guide to living and working in the Cayman Islands
Dec 05, 2016 

Passports & Visas

Last updated: 22nd February 2016

In this section we give detailed information on the complicated process of obtaining a first passport for a child born in the Cayman Islands to an overseas national. We also explain in detail how to obtain or renew a passport for yourself or your children while living in Cayman whether you are an American, Australian, British, Canadian or Caymanian national. We also discuss how to get a US visa if you are the holder of a non American passport and how Jamaica's can get a visa to travel to the Cayman Islands.



Visas for Cayman

Nationals of the United States of America, Canada, the United Kingdom and most countries within the British Commonwealth do not require visas to enter the Cayman Islands. Various other countries are also exempted but, for example, citizens of Jamaica, Colombia, Honduras and Saudi Arabia currently require visas before being admitted into the Islands. You can check out the following website for detailed visa information (in relation to the Cayman Islands) and to see if you will require a visa: Where visas are required, they must be sought and obtained prior to travel.

There is a dedicated visa office within the dept of Immigration in Grand Cayman (Tel: (345) 949 8344 ext 2 and then ext 5 or email: as well as one in Kingston, Jamaica (Tel: (876) 906 7866/5336 or email:; La Ceiba, Honduras (Tel: (504) 2440 1015 or email: and French Harbour in the Bay Islands, Honduras (Tel: (504) 2455 7723). For all other countries, you will need to contact the British Embassy or British Consulate nearest you. To find a consulate nearest you visit:


Entry for Visitors/Tourists to the Cayman Islands

We are often asked how many days, as a visitor, one can stay in the Cayman Islands. Under the law a person that has no other basis to enter the Cayman Islands (i.e. a Work Permit) and with no right to residence may be admitted as visitors for up to a total of six months, with extensions permissible thereafter. However, the reality (except for residential property owners)  is very different! The norm is that someone arrives in Cayman and is given 30 days to stay. If they want to stay longer then they have to go to the Department of Immigration (before their time runs out), fill out an extension form and pay CI$50 for the first extension and CI$100 for all further extensions. Whether or not an extension is granted will depend on a multitude of factors including importantly whether or not the visitor is able to demonstrate an ability to support themselves without working.

However, if they are coming in for six months over the winter, like many of our returning 'snow birds' do, then they can and do get a six month stamp. For this they must show the entry officer their return ticket, a very recent bank or investment statement showing that they have sufficient funds to support themselves without seeking work and a hotel/condo reservation or a lease. This paperwork is looked at very discreetly and returned to the visitor. It is not kept and none of the information is recorded.

Special provisions are now in place for persons who own a home (which would include an apartment or condo) in the Cayman Islands. Through the Immigration (Landing of Persons) Directions, 2014, the Cabinet of the Cayman Islands Government, by directions published on 12 December, have indicated that Immigration Officers are expected to land any person who is not a prohibited immigrant as a visitor for 6 months where it can be demonstrated that he or she owns a home in the Islands where they, and any other person accompanying them, will reside for the duration of the stay, provided all can support themselves without needing to work.

Visas for the US & Elsewhere

If you are looking to travel to the US as a non-American passport holder with an EU member passport then you must register online at least three days before travel via the Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA). Once approved, you are allowed to travel to the US for up to two years without re-registering. The website is However, the intention of ESTA is for EU residents living in EU countries to use this system and not for EU residents living in the Cayman Islands.

Because of its closeness to Cayman the US is invariably where people are evacuated to during a hurricane or a medical emergency. In these instances when a chartered, non-commercial flight is being used, the Visa Waiver Programme does not apply. Therefore, we strongly advise you to get a US visa BEFORE you move to the Cayman Islands. Getting a visa once in Cayman involves the applicant travelling to Jamaica to appear at the embassy in person for an interview and to provide biometric data.

We have been reliably told that the process of filling out the application form and setting up an appointment at the US Embassy in Jamaica can be complicated and frustrating. You can try and do it yourself by following the link here: but there are numerous people that can help walk you through the process; travel agents such as Cayman Travel and Travel Pros are well-versed in the process. See the Travel chapter for their contact info.


More information on getting a passport for a child born in the Cayman Islands can be found in the Having a Baby section.

The Portfolio of Internal and External Affairs of the Cayman Islands Government and the Office of the Governor have assembled contact details for the local consular representatives of all countries that are represented in Cayman. See the end of this page for a list of those representatives.


American Passports

The US Consular Agency has offices in the Smith Road Centre, Suite 202B, 150 Smith Road, George Town, Tel: (345) 945 8173, email: or They are open Monday through Friday 8am-2pm and are closed on all Cayman and US holidays. They assist with passports and emergency services for US citizens only. You may leave a message or visit the office for enquiries; however, applications are submitted by appointment. Please note: Effective January 1st 2016, applications for additional visa pages will no longer be accepted.

Social Security Administration (SSA)
The Consular Agency assists the Social Security Administration by accepting applications for Social Security Numbers and Social Security Benefits as a courtesy to US citizens living in the Cayman Islands.  Benefit recipients  may submit forms and documentation requested by SSA. The following information should be included on all requests:  full name, claim number/social security number, date of birth, mailing address, email and two phone numbers. No appointment is necessary for these services; however, it is recommend that you call the Agency right before you visit to ensure they can assist you.

Lawful Permanent Residents (LPR)

Green card holders may relinquish their Lawful Permanent Residency Status through the Consular Agency by completing form I-407 (Abandonment of LPR Status). Bring the completed and un-signed form to the Agency along with your Green Card between the hours of 9am                            –2pm. No appointment is necessary for these services. 

US Visitor Visas

US Visitor Visas are not a function of the Consular Agency and are managed through the US Embassy in Kingston, Jamaica. At this time, only online visa applications are accepted through
US Citizen Parent(s) Documenting a Child Born in the Cayman Islands as a US Citizen
If you are a US citizen who recently had a child in the Cayman Islands, you should apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad and a passport for your child. Contact the Consular Agency to schedule an appointment by calling (345) 945 8173 or emailing: or You should complete the application forms available at The child and parents who are on the birth certificate must attend the appointment.

The following original documents should be presented and needs to be valid. Notarised copies are not accepted:

1) Evidence of the parent(s) current US citizenship (e.g. a valid US passport)
2) Your child’s official Cayman Islands birth certificate issued by the Registrar of Births
3) Your marriage certificate
4) If either parent was previously married, evidence of marriage dissolution
5) Documented proof of residency in the U.S. for the U.S. citizen parent
6) A credit card (American Express, Diners, Discover, MasterCard or Visa) or a “logoed” debit cards (i.e. debit cards displaying the MasterCard or Visa logo) to pay fees.

British Passports

Application forms for British passports (renewals or new passports) can be downloaded from along with a list of what needs to be submitted. Applications must be couriered to Her Majesty’s Passport Office, OVS-D, Millburngate House, Millburngate, Durham DH97 1PA, England. Payment must be made by credit card online during the application process. The cost of a standard adult’s passport (as of June 2016) is £72.50 and a child’s passport costs £46. This includes the courier fee to send the new passport back to you. Processing time takes at least six weeks.

NB: The Cayman Islands Passport Office no longer handles UK passports, however, applications for British Overseas Territories Citizen passports will still be processed by the Cayman Islands Passport Office.

Caymanian Passports

Caymanian passports (also called a British Overseas Territories Citizen passport) are processed at the Passport & Corporate Services office (Tel: (345) 244 2274) located on the 2nd floor of Sussex House, 128 Elgin Avenue (next to Immigration). They are open Monday-Friday 8.30am-4pm. Passports cost CI$75 for a child and CI$100 for an adult. The processing time is usually two weeks but an express service is available for an additional fee. Passport application forms can be downloaded here along with a list of required documentation.

Canadian Passports

The Canadian Consulate is located on the 1st Floor, Landmark Square, 64 Earth Close, off West Bay Road near The Strand Shopping Centre (Tel: (345) 949 9400 or email: They are open Monday-Thursday 10am-1pm. They offer consular assistance for Canadians who are travelling, working or living in the Cayman Islands. These services include assistance with obtaining Canadian citizenship for children born in the Cayman Islands to Canadian parents, passports and any emergency assistance. Application forms for Canadian passports can be collected from the Consulate or downloaded online from The Consulate can review your application before you send it to the High Commission of Canada in Kingston, Jamaica. The processing time is 15-20 business days.

Canadians travelling or living abroad can register at, it is a useful free service during Hurricane season or for any emergencies. For non-Canadians who wish to visit, study or work in Canada, you will find information as well as online application forms at


Australian Passports

To obtain an Australian passport for a child born in the Cayman Islands to at least one Australian national the process is long and complicated. The steps are as follows:


1) The first thing you need to do is obtain an Australian Citizenship certificate for your child. Fill out form #118 on and courier it to the High Commission in Ottawa. The address for the High Commission can be found on This process should take 10 days.

2) Once you have the Australian Citizenship certificate you need to fill out an Australian Passport Overseas Application. Details on the process can be read on  and then the application form can be filled in online and then printed. 

NB: a) Make sure the application is printed on A4 sized paper.

      b) The Australian passport office will contact you regarding your application prior to processing so make sure all relevant contact information is correct.

3) Once you have filled out the Australian Overseas Passport Application form, and have all the accompanying documents and signed photographs, you need to lodge the application in person. There is no other way to lodge the application other than by the Australian parent delivering it in person!

To do this you must contact the Chicago Consulate-General. The Chicago Consulate-General arranges to be in Miami for one day each month where they will receive applications in person. They wait until they have been contacted by enough people then they nominate a day. (Please note it used to be the Atlanta Consulate General that did this).

Unfortunately it is very difficult, if not impossible, to travel with your child to lodge this application. Your baby would need to have a travel document called a Document of Identity. However, US Customs and Border Protection stipulate that to travel through the US you need a visa and to obtain a visa you need a passport!

NB: When looking for information on the internet it will tell you that the High Commission in Ottawa is the main point of contact for Australian nationals overseas. The "local" Australian mission is in Trinidad & Tobago. It is possible to travel to Canada without a visa, and you can probably travel to Trinidad via Jamaica. However, although it is not obvious, the Australian missions in the US seem to be the most helpful.

You can lodge the application at any of the Australian missions on the following list (check as they are not all missions and always call before you plan to go as some have different requirements - for example in Trinidad they asked for extra paperwork).


Finally, please note this is the process for your child's FIRST passport only. Subsequent passport applications can be couriered for renewal and you do not have to appear in person.

Passports for Other Nationalities

The Portfolio of Internal and External Affairs of the Cayman Islands Government and the Office of the Governor have assembled contact details for the consular representatives of the following countries:


Martin Richter, Tel: (345) 945 1325 or 925 4559


Ms Juliette Gooding - Honorary Consul, Tel: (345) 925 7264


Wingrove Hunte - Liaison Officer, Tel: (345) 926 8303


Giorgio Subiotto, Tel: (345) 949 9876
or (345) 938 9071


Jeff Boucher, Tel: (345) 949 9400


Sebastian Guilbard
Tel: (345) 949 2118 or (345) 326 1014


Christine Schuette-McField
Tel: (345) 924 3561


Miguel Molina-Brown,
Tel: (345) 914 8665 or (345) 547 5087


Dr. Krishna Mani, Tel: (345) 945 1565
or (345) 928 4681


Dr. Joseph Marzouca Tel:  (345) 949 9526 or (345) 325 6634
The office is located at the Dot Com Centre, 342 Dorcy Drive, Industrial Park. Passport renewal time takes three to four weeks.


Arturo Ursua, Tel: (345) 925 8279


Garth Arch, Tel: (345) 949 2400 or (345) 525 5603


Peter Schmid Tel: (345) 326 4385 or (345) 949 1841 or satellite phone: +881 621 462 160


For new biometric passports a visit to a Swiss passport issuing authority is required. There is a Consulate General located in Atlanta, US. For on-Island emergencies or information contact Peter Schmid.

United Kingdom

Tel: (345) 244 2431
Emergencies: (345) 925 4307
For consular information contact Gillian Skinner, Consular Officer in the Office of Her Excellency the Governor.

United States

Gary Montemayor, Tel: (345) 945 8173
Emergencies: (345) 328 0033

Copyright 2016 The Resident Magazine 2016. All rights reserved.
Acorn Publishing Co, PO Box 31403, Grand Cayman KY1-1206, Cayman Islands,
Managed by Netclues!